Monday, November 13, 2017

NYTimes column on structured volunteer work for retirees; more on 401(k) and early Social Security benefits


Glenn Ruffenach has a provocative article about the community engagement issue, “The Best Way for Retirees to Find Meaningful Volunteer Work”, here
  
I wonder about people needing an organization to give them purpose and direction, and as the article says, organizations vary in their ability to do this. 

I rather like the idea of setting up my own initiatives, and I’ll be talking about that soon on Wordpress in conjunction with my own “downsizing”.  I had a meeting about that today, and some of the things that were said were surprisingly sensitive.  Personal engagement in other people’s business is sometimes called for.
  
The article also covers topics already familiar here, 401(k) and taking early retirement benefits at 62.  The decision is not irrevocable, and she says you have 12 months to change your decision and pay it back (but this rule has been changing), 

No comments: