Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Opioid crisis seems to drive Medicare and insurance companies to demand more doctor visits to scrutinize all prescription refills


I got a text late last night that the CVS store couldn’t refill my Losartan blood pressure medicine because it required re-authorization.  I checked, and quickly saw that the refills had been less then previously.

I call the doctor’s office and I’m told that the insurance (I presume that’s Part D Medicare) now insists on more frequent monitoring, every six months, not every year.  From a Medicare perspective, that encourages more doctor visits, more revenue for doctors, and more hits on the federal deficit for Medicare spending.

This seems to be driven by the opioid crisis, which I have nothing to do with.  But “big government” has dragged me into it anyway. 

There are some remote issues with some blood pressure meds.  They can, in rare cases, lead to afib or cardiac arrests.   Still, this is opening my own life, at least, to possible unnecessary disruption and interruption. 
  
A lot of people live as long with very little medical intervention as with a lot.  My paternal grandfather lived to 89 with almost no doctor visits (on a farm, with physical activity).  So some of us who don’t use the benefits a lot support those who do need it.  That’s how health insurance works.

No comments: