Friday, September 04, 2015

Sometimes, momentum keeps seniors going, with little medical attention


I may be “sloughing” on this blog – not a lot of new that is really new (the debate on means testing keeps getting recycled, and filial responsibility as a news topic hasn’t done much recently). But one thing I’ve noticed, given my recent 72nd birthday (July 10), is the importance of keeping my own momentum.

Yes, I have some issues.  Hip arthritis, constipation (which may be related to blood pressure medication), some nuisance headaches. Some irregular heartbeat (sometimes when waking up from intense dreams).  But if I went to the doctor over these, they’d do every possible test under Medicare, and I’d spiral down into hospital culture.  Medical protocol doesn’t always save lives.

But once I get to the next stage in my own work (yesterday’s post on the main blog), I’ll start getting more conscientious. I should do the colonoscopy, but right now I can’t deal with the disruption of the prep.  If they find something, then what?  I don’t have the social support to do “just anything”. 
  
My paternal grandfather never got medical attention, was active on his Iowa farm until one Saturday morning he lay down and died at 89 after breakfast. That’s the way it was then.  There wasn’t the pressure to watch everything.  It was a lot better for some people.

 

No comments: