Sunday, March 17, 2013

"Filial Responsibility Laws" is now an article on Wikipedia


Today, I posted a new topic on Wikipedia, “Filial Responsibility Laws”, link here. I kept it simple and factual, avoiding moral speculations.  Wikipedia committee staff have slightly restructured it and added a few more references, which I will follow up on.
  
The basic entry is here

The additional references refer to the possibility that some state filial responsibility laws could be viewed as unconstitutional (perhaps under due process concerns). There is also a reference to filial responsibility laws in Canada.
   
I will track these down.  


Update: March 18

I have emailed some columnists about the new article.  But I think that some people fear that open discussion of the issue could taunt states that have these laws into trying to enforce them more often, given their budget pressures.  I got this kind of feedback (making me the "troublemaker")  in 2007 when I first blogged about the issue.  States should consider why these laws are on the books if they are not enforced.  There is a certain viewpoint that supports them. Remember the 1979 song "We are family"?


Update: Oct. 28, 2014

Wikipedia notes that the article is out-of-date, as of Sept. 2014, and of "low impact".  I am not sure yet what happened very recently that is worthy of note.  It also notes that the page focuses on only the US and Canada, and is not worldwide.  But no one has a complete worldwide compendium on the subject.  I'll look further.  AARP (previous posted) "punted" on keeping up with this topic.  I will check further to see what is going on.  

No comments: